Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Zucchini Relish

Starting my zucchini relish today. I gave away a desk on Freecycle last summer and the woman who came to get it brought me a jar of her zucchini relish. It was eat-out-of-the-jar-with-a-spoon delicious, so I begged the recipe from her. The only thing I'm planning to change is to add in a little bit of balsamic vinegar in place of the regular vinegar. This recipe is a two-dayer. Today:

5 cups finely chopped onions
10 cups finely chopped zucchini, seeds and pulp removed
Sprinkle with 5 T rock salt and leave covered overnight.

Thanks to my handy-dandy food processor, day one was a breeze.  I bought 5 organic onions thinking each would yield about a cup.  Each was about 2 cups, so I only used 3 and now I have about a cup of onions in my freezer for the  next time I need diced onions.  I love that!

Did you know that if you breathe only through your mouth when you chop onions, it won't sting your eyes.  I wore contact lenses from the time I was in high school until about 9 years ago. At several intervals, I used glasses instead of contacts.  Never once in my life did my eyes ever sting from working with onions.  In 2002 I had lasik eye surgery and after boy oh boy, now I know what everyone has talked about!  Isn't it odd that the surgery would change that?! Then I learned the breathe through your mouth trick.  Works like a charm.

I don't really know what zucchini pulp is.  I halved the zucchinis lengthwise and used a little strawberry huller I have to scrape down the center.  I barely took out anything, because the seeds were miniscule to nonexistent, so I  may have more pulp than I'm supposed to.   Guess we'll find out tomorrow!  My zucchinis were in the 270g - 350g size.  I used two green and 3 yellow, all organic.

An interesting fact I recently learned from one of our local farmers (who I bought the zucchini from):  Zucchini should be shiny.  It doesn't matter how big it is as long as it's still shiny.  She also says you can extend the life of zucchini by rubbing oil on it, thus keeping it shiny.  I have no idea if this is true or not.  I couldn't find anything else on the web about  it, altho I did find places where it said to always look for shiny zucchini.

Stay tuned for day 2!

No comments: